1.04.2016

Dumbass Sayings: “Let Bygones Be Bygones”

When you go to your high school reunion and you run into the teacher you used to sleep with they always say “That was 20 years ago! Can we just let bygones be bygones?” I find that phrase to be a little strange. “Let bygones be bygones”? Sure I’d very much be willing to do that if I had any idea what the fuck a “bygone” was. I have no problem letting bygones be bygones. As far as I’m concerned they can stay being bygones. I don’t know what the opposite of a bygone is, I don’t know how something would go from being a bygone to anything else. Of course you let bygones be bygones, what are you going to make them into? Herenows? The problem with this saying is that no one uses the term “bygones” in any other part of life. The only time that word ever exists is when someone says “let bygones be bygones.” You can’t do that. You may as well say “Can’t we let schnickdorfs be schnickdorfs?” How about we simplify things and start doing away with words from a bygone era and just say “Let’s move on from the past” or “Let the past be past.” Past is a word that gets used a lot more than bygones. Only a hypocrite would want to let bygones be bygones and in doing so use anachronistic language.

I believe "Let bygones be bygones" was the requested slogan for the Nuremberg Trials.

No comments :

Post a Comment