8.11.2015

Ask McFartnuggets: “When People Post Sad News on Facebook Should You Like It?”

Dear McFartnuggets: 
An acquaintance from work that I’m friends with on Facebook just posted that their nephew died in a car accident. I don’t exactly know how I’m sposed to respond to this status update. Should I click like? Do they want people to click like? I don’t want to say I like the news clearly it’s sad. Then again I don’t want to completely ignore it. People always like to get likes so would clicking a like make them feel a little better? Maybe if I hit like they’ll know I’m just showing support for them during this difficult time and I’m liking the life of the person who passed on. Then again even if that’s how they and everyone else sees it, it’ll still say “Jonah Nichols likes this” under the news that this person’s loved one has just died. What are you supposed to do here? -- Jonah from Cape Canaveral, Florida


Dear Jonah:
I think the best thing to do in that situation is to simply leave a comment that says something to the effect of “RIP to this sweet angel” or “My condolences during this difficult time, yo.” I think that’s fairly common and it does the trick. You’re right, you don’t want to make it look like you’re approving and supporting the death of the person. Then again, if you see a lot of other people have liked the post then you may want to follow suit. It really all depends on the person who posted it. Dealing with death on Facebook is a lot like relationship statuses, it’s complicated.

"Hey sorry to hear about your daughters!"

Send your questions to PizzaTesticles@yahoo.com

No comments :

Post a Comment