The Top 5 Weirdest British Spellings of Words

People from England invented the English language so you’d figure however they choose to spell the words is the right way. However, something just doesn’t seem right about the way they spell certain words. I’m not saying Americans speak or spell English gooder or more awesome than brilliant British folks, but we did make Baseball which is significantly better than Cricket, so there is a precedent for this sort of thing. Here are the top 5 weirdest British spellings of English words:

5. "Lustre"
“Lustre” is how British people spell the word “luster.” I know there’s a difference in how Americans and Brits pronounce words, but typically the way it’s supposed to work is you go from the left to the right. Or maybe I’m wrogn? I don’t knwo.

4. "Foetus"
“Foetus” is how British people spell “fetus.” I guess it’s fun to throw in a silent “O” every now and thoen into words, but to me it seems a bit pointless especially considering when British people say “foetus” it sound like “fetus.” No one says “foe-tus.”

3. "Faeces"
“Faeces” is the British spelling of “feces.” I don’t like this one just because it looks like an optical illusion. Anytime you put an a and e next to each other like that it looks like there’s an upside down mirror between them. Also, it makes it look too much like the word “faces” and unless you’re shitfaced, that’s never a good thing.

2. "Diarrhoea"
“Diarrhoea” is how English people spell “diarrhea.” Again with the silent O’s. Diarrhea is difficult enough to spell as it is without extra unnecessary letters plopped in the back end.

And the number one weirdest British spelled word is…

1. "Manoeuvre"
“Manoeuvre” is the British version of “Maneuver.” Now “maneuver” in itself even in the American spelling is a ridiculous English word, but the British spelling is insane. It has all the elements of the previous four words on this list. First off you’ve got the extra O in there that has nothing to do with how the word is pronounced. Then you’ve got the dyslexic switcheroo of the last two letters. How is anyone supposed to look at this word and have any idea how to say it? I’ve been speaking English since I can remember and I look at this word and it makes my tongue want to hang itself. Even British kids growing up trying to learn English must have a hard time with this. Then again maybe it’s like Chinese kids reading Chinese. It makes absolutely no sense to us, but they can do it. Regardless, this is a word spelling that damn near looks Chinese and it’s in the English language.

Not everything the British do is logical.

No comments :

Post a Comment