6.06.2015

Dumbass Sayings: “You Made Your Bed Now Lie in it”

When you get into some serious gambling debt with loan sharks and you go to family for help they sometimes say “I’m not going to bail you out again! You made your bed, now lie in it!” This is one of those sayings that has a lot of things wrong with it. First of all it’s meant to be a negative saying, but making your bed is a good thing. This is a phrase parents often say to their kids. Telling this to a kid would make them think “Well I better stop making my bed now! It’s clearly linked to bad things!” Secondly, this saying compares the beautiful act of sleep with a punishment. Normally anyone would love to make their bed and then sleep in it, but it’s meant to be a bad thing? That doesn’t make any sense at all. That’d be like saying “You made your delicious ice cream sundae, now enjoy it!” but if you were saying that to someone who just got into a horrible life ruining situation. You see how that doesn’t make any sense? If it was meant to be ironic then I could understand, but it’s not. I’d love to make my bed and lie in it! That sounds so much better than having my kneecaps cracked open with a tire iron because LeBron James screwed me over again!

Oh no! Now I'll have to lay in my bed!

No comments :

Post a Comment