10.23.2014

Dumbass Sayings: “So Help Me God”

Back in the day when your mom used to get really mad she’d say things like “If you don’t stop misbehaving, so help me god I will leave this family!” “So help me god” is one of those things that people say and never really think about what it means. Why is the word “So” in there? What purpose is that serving? It’s just an added unnecessary word in that phrase. You could say “Help me god” and it would mean the same exact thing. But let’s focus on what “So help me god” actually means. It’s basically a quick angry prayer to god. I don’t know if god exists or not, but if he or she does I’m sure it doesn’t appreciate being screamed rhetorical demands at. No one actually expects god to help them when they say “So help me god!” Why would someone involve god in the act of them leaving their family? Don’t try to pin this on god. This phrase is a cop-out that people use to diffuse responsibility away from themselves. If you’re angry and have anger issues then that’s something you need to work out on your own. God won’t help you with that, not as long as you’re yelling and being curt and belligerent.

How about "Please help me God?"

No comments :

Post a Comment