12.26.2012

New Highway Safety Slogan: "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over"

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is using the slogan "Drive Sober of Get Pulled Over" in a new anti-drunk driving awareness campaign. While I do NOT support drunk driving I have to say this slogan is not that great. First off it's nowhere near catchy enough for an alcoholic to remember. It doesn't even rhyme! "Sober" does not rhyme with "over". The only time it would rhyme is if you're slobbering drunk and at that point it's TOO LATE!

My other problem with this slogan is with it's actual meaning. "Drive sober or get pulled over" basically means that if you do anything but drive sober you're getting pulled over. Technically this would mean if I was riding drunk with my designated driver I would be getting pulled over because I wouldn't be "driving sober", I would be "riding drunk". If I'm at home knitting a pair of wool socks sober then I could be pulled over because I'm not driving sober. I think something like "Only a Punk Drives Drunk" would be a better slogan, at least that's something that could catch on a little easier than "Drive Sober of Get Pulled Over". It's a flawed statement is all I'm saying.

No comments :

Post a Comment