12.01.2014

Ask McFartnuggets: “Can People in Motorized Wheelchairs Get Pulled Over For Drunk Driving?

Most motorized wheelchairs
are heavier than Smart cars.
Dear McFartnuggets: 
I was walking down the sidewalk the other day minding my own business when some guy in a motorized wheelchair going damn near twenty miles an hour nearly ran me over from behind. I could tell he was drunk because he was swerving all over and yelling racial slurs at people. I was going to call the cops, but I wasn’t sure if they could even do anything about it. Can people in motorized wheelchairs be pulled over and arrested by the police for DUI? -- Sven from Detroit, Michigan


Dear Sven:
Because he was driving on the sidewalk that’s technically posing less of a danger than if he was drunk driving on the street. The more similar the vehicle is to a car the more likely you’ll be arrested for drunk driving. People have been arrested for driving drunk on lawnmowers so I think there’s a precedent for the illegality of non-car intoxicated driving. It’s really a judgement call for the cops. I’m sure they could arrest a drunk handicapped or elderly person driving their wheelchair all over the place, but would they want to? These people have it hard enough being handicapped and super old, most people are willing to look the other way and let them just enjoy themselves. You can't really put them in jail. They're basically impervious to the law. Personally, I think they should be subject to the same rules as anyone else because I believe they are just like anyone else. I treat them like "normal" people, but hey maybe that's just me.



Write your questions to PizzaTesticles@yahoo.com

No comments :

Post a Comment