1.24.2015

Ask McFartnuggets: “Is it Still Considered a Hit and Run if I Drove Away?”

Dear McFartnuggets: 
Long story short I hit someone with my car and I know that’s wrong and a bad thing to do, but I don’t think what I did qualifies as a “hit and run” because I just drove away. I didn’t run. I know sometimes people hit someone with their car so hard that their car breaks and they have to run away on foot and those people often get caught and arrested because they did a “hit and run.” I didn’t run though, I drove. That doesn’t count as a “hit and run” right? -- Norman from Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Dear Norman:
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight… Technically what you did would be considered a “hit and run” by law enforcement and the judicial system. I know the verbiage is a a bit misleading, but simply leaving the scene of the collision is considered “running.” It doesn’t matter if you drove away, crawled away, or flew away with a jet pack. As long as you left and were not present and held accountable at the scene of the incident that is a punishable offense and a quite serious one at that. The right thing to do would be to turn yourself in, but for future reference just know that leaving after you run someone over is only making the situation worse. Hope that helps.

Actually it's rare that a hit-and-run results in someone leaving their bloody car on fire and running away on foot. 

Write your questions to PizzaTesticles@yahoo.com

No comments :

Post a Comment