1.02.2015

Ask McFartnuggets: Is Wheelchair MMA Ethical?

Dear McFartnuggets: 
My friend Glen is paralyzed from the waist down and he runs an underground MMA fighting league specifically for people in wheelchairs. I went to one of these fights and it was very disturbing. It was just strange to see people in wheelchairs hurting each other. I wanted to put a stop to it, but they were hearing none of it. They weren't deaf too just leg paralyzed. I'm wondering in your expert opinion is wheelchair MMA ethical or not? -- Shaunice from Jackson, Mississippi

Dear Shaunice:
If they're enjoying themselves then I'd say there's nothing wrong with it. As long as they're grown adults and they're wearing gloves I think it's fine. It must be a spectacular sight. I'd imagine MMA is a much more strategic sport when leglocks are entirely ineffective. The only thing that might get a little awkward is when they're on the mat wrestling and the ref wants them to stand up. Aside from that it's probably great.

Wheelchair athletes should be seen just like functioning legged athletes, if not respected more for their perseverance.

Send your questions to PizzaTesticles@yahoo.com

No comments :

Post a Comment