3.03.2015

Dumbass Sayings: “I Wouldn’t Put it Past You”

When someone at work complains that someone ate their sandwich and they’re going around trying to find the culprit sometimes they look at you and say “I don’t think you did it, but I wouldn’t put it past you…” What the hell is this supposed to mean? Does anyone ever put something past someone? And when they do is it considered a compliment? I’ve never heard that. Should I hope people put things past me all the time? That doesn’t seem like a positive thing. I don’t want things put past me, I want things put beneath me. Be more specific about the direction you’re passing things. What people mean to say is “You’re not morally above what I’m accusing you of.” The difference is that when they say “I wouldn’t put it past you” they’re talking about putting the action below you when metaphorically it is the person who should be above the action. When you’re accusing someone of something, it’s the person that should be the focal point of what you’re talking about, not the activity. Simply trying to match the morality of an action to what a person is capable of can indict a great many suspects. The sandwich has been eaten, move on, Jennifer.

You say someone violated your "poseable mannequin" collection and you wouldn't put it past me?

No comments :

Post a Comment